It seems that the wonderful days of napping and reading all day are behind me. I've been keeping busy lately. I've started an after-school club/tutoring the one thing I am very knowledgeable with- English. I struggled through years of learning French from non-native speakers, so, I'm happy to help the kids. And even now; learning French in West Africa is like going to the deep South to learn English. I teach the kids a lot of slang we use in America. But my favorite thing- something I planned while I was still in the States- is to talk about rap and hip-hop. It's a geography lesson really. West Coast v. East Coast. Chicago is heavily represented. Biggie Smalls watches us from above and Tupac lingers somewhere in between.
I've also started working with Club Espoir. It's a monthly meeting for kids infected or affected by HIV/AIDS. We play a lot of games, perform skits, watch films, eat, and just give the kids a break from their everyday lives. I go to the club meetings in Kara- which is also a thinly disguised way to enjoy a draft beer after the meeting- but they are in most major cities. During the summer each region has a week of camp with the kids. Where I am told I will learn every Togolese children's song there is.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment