Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Saying Goodbye

Apres, tout a l'heure, au revoir, blatasie.
My life is now filled with daily tests on the proper way to say goodbye. The only english most of the kids in my village know is "bye bye." Grandma Pat passed away this week. The glue that held together the Dilgers.
It's hard enough to imagine going back to life in the States. But now I'll be going back to holidays and family gatherings without the one constant the family has always relied on. The grandkids always knew where she hid the candy. And everyone could bet on the mashed potatoes being both runny and lumpy at the same time. I don't know if any of us will forget her dancing to Souja Boy at Tricia and Steve's wedding. She took her role as Grandma very seriously- always the loyal babysitter and spoiling us at every chance she had. I was a lucky one- I had her in my life for 22 years. And as the first granddaughter I was always showered with her affection. She taught me the importance of family. Even during my horrible teenage phase when I wanted nothing to do with my family. I could always rely on her for a hug good-bye. And as I grew-up and she shrunk, it was difficult not to leave without a smile on my face because of how funny we looked.
The Togolese save up for months in order to have the proper funeral. Their funerals are a true celebration of the person's life; filled with music, dancing, and food. Although I may not have the Dilgers around for hugs; I am saying goodbye with nothing but happy memories.

No comments: