Monday, December 14, 2009

December 13, 2009

My homologue’s Aunt died recently and the funeral was this weekend. Cousins from Ghana, brothers from Lomé, sisters fro who knows where- the whole family came to visit. I went over to welcome them and to pay my respects.
One time I heard my Dad describe my mom and her friends as hens clucking. He’s obviously never seen kotokoli women greet eachother (seriously, obviously). How to describe it-
After the usual exchanges of ‘welcome’ ‘How are you’ ‘and your health’ ‘and the work’ ‘and the children’ ‘and anything else I haven’t mentioned.’
One then launches into a succession of ‘yeah’ ‘yeah’ ‘uh’ ‘uh’ ‘uh’ ‘uh.’ The greeting also involves bending at the knees to show respect. I see it as a game and try to see how long I can make this exchange last. Although this also means walking anywhere in my village takes 45 minutes.
There’s a joke about 2 kotokoli women who greet eachother in the street and ‘uh’ ‘uh’ ‘uh’ for so long they are both run over by a car.
So ther I was as more and more women showed-up and each time a spiral of greetings ensued. I smiled, happy to be welcomed to join in and proud to be able to exchange pleasantries. Sitting amongst the women donning their vibrantly-patterned pagne and colourful hijabs I became homesick for the clucking of my mother and aunts.

No comments: