Monday, July 14, 2008


I have been seeing a lot of old friends this summer and they can’t believe that little Nikki is packing up and moving to Africa. While sometimes I feel like a broken record explaining what I’ll be doing, where I’ll be living, etc. I don’t think I would have made it this far without your support. I’m asked if I’m scared and nervous, the answer of course is yes. How am I going to live two years without my hair dryer? I am just going to have flat, dull hair the entire time I’m there? Then there are the realistic things; like living without toilet paper or the hallucinogen-dream induced malaria medication I have to take. (An exchange of paper for pills has already been established with some friends.)
I’m spending most of my free time researching everything I can. I have lists and lists of things I need to remember to bring. I’m learning simple phrases in Ewe, the native language. Trying to keep up my French. I have an 80g ipod I’m trying to fill-up. I’m debating what books are worthy of making the trip. I’m trying to wrap my head around relying on a solar panel for all of my luxuries. I’m eating as much delicious vegetarian food I can right now.


My graduation/going away party is Saturday, August 16th. Aside from the challenge of deciding on a keg, I’m excited to see family and friends! I have had a lot of people ask me what they can give me to take over as charity, I’ve compiled a list, which will be sporadically updated. I will be able to receive mail there, so even if I can’t fit everything in my one 80lb bag, I’ll have my mom send it later.

Your favorite pictures of US landscapes/cities (they’re going to want to know where I’m from!)
Balloons
School supplies- especially pens! (Rumor has it, the pens there stink)
Cheap kids shirts- Chicago sports teams (An easy conversation starter anywhere is Michael Jordan)
Frisbees, soccer ball, baseball, etc. (Coach Nikki! Can’t wait to show off my soccer skills.)
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Bandanas
And for my own selfish reasons, a burned copy of your favorite album that I can put on my ipod.

No comments: