Thursday, August 21, 2008

Less than a month to go!

C’est dans l’ordre des choses
Que la fille qui sait nager
Sera donnée au piroguier













I'm quickly approaching my departure date. I received my staging materials today. I've officially booked my flights! On September 17th, I fly to Philadelphia. It's a morning flight, I hope my mom will be able to handle starting to drink at 7am. If she's anything like me, it won't be a problem. In Philadelphia I have 2 days of training and shots. The schedule looks pretty exhausting, but I think I can still manage to get to the "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" season premiere party. I'm trying to sort through all of the paperwork that needs to be tended to before I leave. You would think this was a real job or something. I'm trying to set-up a connection with Megan's AP Biology class with the Peace Corps' Worldwide School Program. I'm just trying to make it as hard as possible for her to live up to her amazing older sister :)

It's been a very busy last couple of weeks. I've had visits from some great friends from Evergreen; Andrew, Railin, and Amy. I dragged them to a lot of Africa themed exhibits at Chicago's great museums and the zoo. I'm so glad I got to see them one last time before I leave. Plus, it was great to have some West Coast love in the house. I'm just about done with work, just one more day! I've had a really fun time with the girls and I don't know they'll top their summer of fun with Nikkicoco. I have a new baby girl cousin to celebrate! Congrats Mark and Mo on little Braelyn! I had my graduation/going away party last weekend. I can't express how amazing it is it have such an incredible support system here. Sure, I get to live it, but I couldn't do it without all of you! We spent the night sipping margaritas (I wonder if I can just bring a 2 year supply of tequila instead of clothes), BBQing, playing bags, and eating Africa themed desserts; Africa made out of cupcakes, elephant cookies, and special African brownies made by Brooke and Michael. Thanks so much for everyone who brought stuff for me to take to Africa. My mom will probably send it to me over the span of time I am there. I hasn't hit me yet that I won't be seeing some of you for another 2 years! The next few weeks are going to be busy and include no less than 3 Umphrey's McGee shows. (An official request has been sent for them to cover Toto's Africa at my last show). I have a lot of shopping to do for things that will help me survive village life. I'm headed to Colorado next weekend for a weekend of Red Rocks, an awesome venue I've wanted to go to for years. And of course making the most of the time I have left with family and friends.

I've put my address on the side bar, mail something to me! I can take over a month to get there, so send it now!

No comments: