Sunday, September 7, 2008

Some Toto before Togo

I leave in 10 days. I've only said goodbye to a handful of people so far, and I'm already exhausted by the hugs and crying. I was never good at these things. So instead, here's my "See you later..."

If you know me, chances are you know about my obsession (I’ll admit it) with a little band called Umphrey’s Mcgee. I’ve grown-up with Umphrey’s. My brother introduced me to them during my junior year in high school. They were really the start of when I embraced the hippieness that my parents passed down. I’ve seen them 45+ times live over the last 6 years. I can’t remember a New Year’s without them. I have over 6 days worth of music by them on my ipod. They’ve served as an excuse to travel to Vancouver, San Francisco, New Orleans, and all over the Midwest and Northwest. I have made some life long friendships through the band; ones that I know extend further than just drinking buddies. And I have to give them credit on the title of this blog.

I’ve always felt that our love affair was very one sided. Like that crush in high school, you know that you’re perfect together; you just wonder if he thinks it too. I’ve had a few redeeming moments; there was the time I was front row and Pony gave me the set list (too bad I’m too old for him now). I met Brendan at a subway one time before the show and rambled on like an idiot. And there was the time I saw them sing the National Anthem at the Sox game and I had my picture taken with them. But most of the time, I felt lost in this crowd of Umphreaks. I was young, a girl, and didn’t have half the knowledge of the band some fans do.

Last Friday night was my last show before I left. The show was at a really cool outdoor venue in South Bend, IN (half the band went to Notre Dame). I went to the show with my closest Umphrey’s friends, we were all really excited about being together at one last show for a few years. My good friend Nick put out an official petition for them to cover the song “Africa” by Toto for me. He posted it on their message board and about 70 people responded. It’s not a song that is played very often, maybe twice a year. Plus, there’s no guarantee that the band will even get the message. It was a long shot, and I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen.

Well, they closed their first set with Africa. I honestly could not believe it. It was the validation I had been waiting for, Umphrey’s loves me back. I quickly ran up to the front, pulling Elizabeth along with me, yelling “THEY”RE PLAYING THIS FOR ME!” Jason soon joined us to celebrate. I spent most of the song in the front row hyperventilating. I’m surprised I didn’t pass out. The three-minute song resulted in 45 minutes of crying, happy tears. It was amazing to feel that
kind of love in the crowd, people were coming up to me and telling me how happy they were that I got my Africa. I dragged Elizabeth over to the stage entrance to try to thank the band. I was able to flag down Brendan, the lead singer. And in true high school crush form; my gratitude was professed while we were holding hands through a fence. I’m told it was adorable; it’s just a daze in my mind.



About 4 songs into the second set, Nick and Elizabeth turned to me and said “Nikki, I really think this show is for you. Think about what they’ve played.” Songs with lyrics that include the following:
“I could tell you all about what's next
if I could make it clear.”
-All in Time

Elizabeth proclaimed that I am Miss Tinkle’s!

A Pink Floyd cover of Breathe,
Breathe, breathe in the air. Don't be afraid to care.
Leave, don't leave me. Look around and choose your own ground. Long you live and high you fly, smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry, all you touch and all you see, Is all your life will ever be.”

All our friends are here now, and this is what we came to do.
All our friends are here with us and this is what we have to do.
You all came from far away or just across the town for you
All of your friends are here now and this is what we have to do...left to do
Looks at what's next, there's so much left
I'll turn a page and fill your void
I look to my left, I Hate to neglect
The coming of age until your time
-Gulf Stream (This one left me crying and hugging all my friends).

There was a drum solo (how very African!)

better choose your steps
it's easier to mark your way
place your order now
it's easier to make your change
Where does all this point to what will I find out
Once is all I have and not enough
think about your time
don't sit and let it pass away
swallow up your pride
be glad they even know your name
-Much Obliged

Bridgeless was played and Nick pointed out that between here and Africa is bridgeless (this one’s a stretch).

I want to runaway, to get up get out this town and sing
I say we make no plans
I want to unpack all your bags and we can live.
-FF

Here’s the full setlist:
Set One 2x2, Wife Soup* > Waist Down, Ringo > Kimble, Partyin' Peeps, Africa

Set Two All In Time > Breathe > The Triple Wide > Gulf Stream, Miss Tinkle's Overture, Much Obliged > Hajimemashite > Much Obliged > drums > All In Time

Encore FF > Bridgeless

This was just an amazing send off. I cannot imagine anything better. Two years without Umphrey’s is going to be very hard for me, but I think this show is going to be something I can smile about the entire time I’m there.


2008-09-05 Saint Patrick's Park South Bend, IN




With my favorite Umphreaks.


One of my moments of glory.

No comments: