I want to send you all individual emails and tell you all about “that funny thing that happened in Africa” and how I wish you were here. But as it turns out my internet access sucks. Right now I'm in the village of Agou Nyogbo for training. It is near Kpalime, if you want to locate me on a map. The sights are filled with the expected; like women carrying everything and anything on their heads. And the unexpected; like the kids taking machetes with them to school to cut the lawn in the afternoon. There’s also a constant feeling of being in a petting zoo because the goats and chickens are everywhere. My time right now revolves around technical training, French and local language class, napping, and eating. Life’s pretty good right now. I’ve already had my first dress made and last week I was the belle of the ball at a drum circle where I danced with the best of them. I’m here until early December, when I officially swear-in as a PCV and move to post…
…Which is Kameni. It’s in the Centrale region, about 35km from Sokode. It is 7km off the Route Nationale. The post has a history of health volunteers, which I am really excited about because I can’t wait to do my first condom demonstration...in French. I start learning Cotokoli, the local language, next week. The past volunteer left me a great resource with all the information I could have ever wanted on the village. It’s a Muslim village, so I’ll be attending Mosque and saying goodbye to my shoulders and knees soon. There are a few schools in town, so I have a lot of opportunities for environ ed. I go on a post week for a few days the first week of December.
OH! And the beers here are 30oz standard. And they are strong. And gin comes in sachets here.
I miss you all and want to hear about what’s happening in your lives. Send me some love in the mail, so far only David Orr has written me. If you send it now I bet I get it for my birthday (hint, hint). And maybe some peanut butter.
I’m going to try to post pictures (and videos!) on my blog next week when I’m on my field trip.
Hello Tedders!
I hope everything is great with you. I’m sure school is going great and Luke is enjoying is Mom/Dad time. Life here is amazing. I still have another month of training and then it’s off to the bush on my own!
I’ve talked to a few current volunteers who visited South Africa during their service. I’m going to have my mom book the flight for me since my internet access is very sporadic. Once I know when I can get a flight, I’ll let you know either email or call.
Hello Miller Family!
I hope everything is great with you and the school year is moving right along (and that you’re learning lots of environmental things!) And I wanted to wish Grace a very happy birthday.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Nicole - We are enjoying your site. What an exciting life you have. We miss you. It was nice of you to remember Grace's birthday. Merry Christmas to you. The girls will post next. Lori
Nicole I miss you and blanky and bunny miss you. You are the best summer nanny I ever had. Hugs & Kisses from Audrey Miller PS Did you know I am in Kindergarten now and I still don't like piano (typed by mom, dictated by Audrey)
Nicole How was your birthday? What was your cake made of? I am on the on the pom pom team. Also, I am going to Disney World. I hope you are having fun. I miss you. Grace
Post a Comment