Friday, December 5, 2008

In the City fof Lome, Where the Streets are Made of Sand and the Robbers Hold Your Hand

It's official!
I'm a Peace Corps volunteer. Swearing-in was yesterday at the US Embassy. I made a short speech in my local language, Kotokoli. Everyone was dressed in traditional Togolese Complets. We've been in Lome for a few days now, preparing to go to post. Saturday I'm off to Kemeni.

I had an amazing birthday. My host mom had a huge party for me. She made a ton of food and everyone from Peace Corps in Nyogbo came; volunteers and formateurs. There was a bit of a roast, but it was all in good fun. I also received my first packages from the states on that day. So I feasted on Skippy and watched a lot of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

For Thanksgiving, Peace Corps came and cooked us all food. And we even met the turkeys the day before! I'm still veggie though). We played Football American and watched the Dark Knight. It definitely was not a Dilger Thanksgiving, but it was about the same number of people, just not in an overcowded basement.

I have largely been neglecting this site, but I promise that will change. Besides, I've just been in stage mainly studying french and trees. This is when the real fun begins.


With my host mom and her sister.


With the boys, Christian and Jake.


The NRM group at swear-in.


At my birthday party, my mom put a lot of work into that cake.


NRM ladies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't say how much you miss me. Dammit Nicole! Hahaha oh well. BTW Aza 'n I are going to Medieval Times tommorrow. booyeah!