Thursday, January 1, 2009

Dec 15 2008

Six months ago, my life revolved around finishing up at Evergreen, some really cute kids, and spending my last bit of time in Oly (your best bet was to find me at the broho). Three months ago, it was all about family time in Chicago and getting in my last bit of summer freedom. Now here I am preparing for my first 80 degree plus holiday. I'm finally done with training and am now living on my own for the first time. My house is coming along nicely. I've added lots of personal touches with pictures; maps, cards from home, and Michael and Brooke's artwork.
I've heard that a large part of Peace Corps is fighting boredom. I have more time than ever to read, write, nap, and of course, learn kotokoli. Work will pick-up soon after the holidays. I have plans to start a tree nursery and I'm going to start a small garden in my compound.
Life has been hectic, though. Bush taxis are always an adventure. I arrived at post and 3 days later was the biggest Musli holiday of the year, Tabaski. I saw a lot of animals sacrificed. And attended quite a few fetes and showed off my dancing skills. There are things that I expected; I was prepared to live without running water and electricity. I accquired a 'West African Muslim Friendly' wardrobe before I left. But there have also been a lot of surprises. I've been suffering from frequent insomnia that's either caused by stress, my malaria medication, or the bats that are living in my house. My frequent hilarious texts that I'm able to receive from Max remind me that maybe I'm not alone en brousse. And the kids here are more amazing than I could have ever imagined.

No comments: