Friday, January 23, 2009

Inauguration Day

I was gently rocking in my hammock trying to find a clear signal on BBC when history was made this week. It feels so weird being so far away from all the action. Although, Barack's popularity has even reached my little corner of the world. And I take great pride in telling people Barack and I are from "le meme village."
I still remember first hearing about Barack. It was early in the 2004 Democratic Senate primaries. The family had been out very late and I wanted to make sure my Dad didn't fall asleep at the wheel. So I engaged him in a conversation neither of us would tire of - politics. I was probably ranting about Oberwies. But I remember my Dad saying "You know who you have to look out for? Who's going to be a real force on the political scene? Barack Obama." "Who?" "Ba-rack O-ba-ma." "Oh."
Eyeroll.
But a couple of months later I was registering people to vote on behalf of Barack (and myself, I was only 17). It's bittersweet for me not being in Chicago right now. But I'll get to watch all the speeches in 2 years. And I get to do something I'm really proud of; represent Barack, the US Government, and, of course, change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's time for CHAAAAAAAAAAAANGE finally, but don't worry, you aren't missing much. There's more references to God lately than at a Georgia Prayer Breakfast, something that Jon likes to point out a lot. I'm going to send you the video of the inauguration so you can watch the hype for yourself (2.5 million people in DC), and you can judge for yourself if he is really our president (Stephen doesn't think so). So prepare yourself for the next package to come in, should have lots of juicy videos, and hopefully when I get back from Madison, a present from your 6 favorite guys in the world.

-Jason